When equipment manufactured by Potomac Instruments must be returned to the factory for service the user can speed that service by choosing one of the two methods here and following the instructions.
- Use our online RMA system. Fill out the form for each item of equipment being returned.
- Contact Potomac for a "Return Material Authorization" (RMA) number and form at
- Our hours are 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. (EST) M-F. Potomac can fax the form to you or you may download and print it from this web site using the
PDF file format.
In all cases, please obtain an RMA number to assist us in tracking your unit.
- Fill out the information requested on the RMA form completely. It is essential for us to have both a technical contact person as well as information for billing and shipping. A full description of any problems is necessary for us to prepare accurate estimates of service charges. An explanation of your efforts to repair or troubleshoot any problems is also helpful. Use extra numbered pages if necessary.
- Fax a copy of your completed RMA form to Potomac at 301-696-5553.
- Attach the completed RMA form to the equipment before it is packed for shipment. (Every year we receive a number of shipments with no record of the owner. This problem is especially common when using second party shipping services.)
Upon arrival at Potomac Instruments our personnel will log your equipment into the service queue and attempt to verify any symptoms reported on your RMA. If the problem can not be confirmed we will attempt to reach your technical contact for more information.
Once a diagnosis has been made we will prepare an "Estimate of Repair Costs". This estimate will be sent to the billing contact specified on the RMA for approval. No repair will begin until we are in receipt of a signed authorization for the service charges from the billing contact.
When the service is completed we will send a "Pro Forma Invoice" to the billing contact. This invoice reports all service charges and outlines alternatives and charges for return shipping. Payment arrangements must be made prior to shipment. Our payment terms are restricted to the following:
- Credit Card Transaction (VISA, Master Card or American Express)
- Payment in Full prior to shipment (CIF)
- COD (to authorized accounts)
Upon receipt of payment and shipping instructions the equipment will be shipped promptly according to the instructions from the billing contact.